Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Personal Shrine Collage

 

I'm participating in a Day of the Dead art swap over at Mother Henna. 

I'm a super type A and it is really hard for me to let go and let the art magic happen. However, I discovered two things. One, I'm becoming obsessed with Day of the Dead. A day to remember and celebrate our loved ones? Bring it on. And, Two, I really love collage. I mean, I love it. I especially like cutting out words from magazines and watch as a message from the universe appears to me.

I made these personal shrines. They are inspired by the tin 'nichos' in Latin American culture where you make a tiny shrine featuring a symbol or item that is special to you. They use mason jar lids since mason jars are all hip and in style right now. Also cheap. And now that I've started I can't stop. I want to make a million of them. My son is getting baptized this weekend (at the age of 8, it's a big deal) and I want to make a little shadowbox shrine to commemorate that. I want to make one with my great grandmother's photo and her broach I have. I want to make one to honor Gabriel with his sandname photo and some shells and a little bottle of sand.

Here are a few photos from the ones I made from the swap- I kept my two favorite. The red one that says, "Dream" and one not pictured that says, "Discover the Path"

Collage. Who knew?


No comments: